Thursday, August 11, 2005

#11  Coffee is the Best Medicine...August 11, 2005
...The Strange Happenings in a Coffee Shop
 
(You may start reading at any point in the story.
It isn't that long or complicated! This is Part 11.)


"I'm sorry," the nurse stammered.

"Make sure you mean it," Butch growled before returning to his seat in the waiting room. 

I stole a glance at Alfred. Our eyes met and laughed together. He's a good sport being hurt and still managing to enjoy the humor of Butch's remark. Alfred was a strange duck, no doubt about that; but he had a heart of gold, by my observations.

"The doctor will see you now." Our little nurse's voice remained shaky after her harrowing experience with Butch. 

"Could we all go in...to support our friend." Butch had stood and now hovered over the girl. I could see a huge gulp traveling down her throat.

"Yes," she mumbled

We paraded into the examining room. Such a small place for all of us. Once again, Butch took up half of the space being as big as he was.  Rose, the waitress, stayed close to him. He was a tower of strength for our group.

"I think you should sit up here," I said to Alfred, patting the examining table.

'"Okay, but if I have to get undressed, you all have to go," Alfred said. "Except for you," he continued, looking directly at me.

"How come you don't want me to stay and help you?" Brenda asked, which because they were boyfriend and girlfriend, seemed appropriate to me.

"You undress me all the time. I want someone new this time," Alfred replied.

"ALFRED!" Brenda blushed six different shades of scarlet.

A knock at the door, and Dr. Cutler walked in. He recognized me. Not because I have had plastic surgery or anything, but just because I am a friend of a friend...you don't believe me, do you? But I digress...

Alarmed, apparently at finding a roomful of people, his eyes scanned our little group while greeting me.

"Hello, JO! Now where is the patient you told me about...OH!"

When he saw Alfred, his face blanched. Now, let me tell you, if you're in the business of plastic surgery, and someone unattractive frightens you, a professional who has seen all kinds of deformities, well, that frightening person must be pretty bad.

He reached over, flinching, and felt Alfred's face, running his finger along the long hook nose and parting Alfred's lips to see his irregular line of jagged teeth. 

"You're going to need more than just me. I'm calling in the whole team. This is a job for the extreme makeover group."

"Let's get started," Alfred said.




To be Continued

Copyright 2005 JO Janoski

1 comment:

  1. If he becomes handsome, I wonder if he will change.

    ReplyDelete